Spa-Francorchamps Circuit Museum

deco-01The speed track was inaugurated in 1921 and underwent successive changes so that it has finally been laid down for 80% on the territory of the municipality of Stavelot. That is why that town naturally saw the birth of a museum dedicated to the circuit.

Three factors will be deciding. The first one was the restoration of a part of the abbey in the 70’s. Thanks to cultural subventions, the town of Stavelot was able to renovate the splendid vaulted cellar, also called “columned cellar”, and doubled its size by adding a contemporary style room.

The second one was the tenacious will of some citizens, passionately fond of motorsports and of the circuit, who wanted to realize their dream: to create a museum. The third factor was the enthusiastic answer from generous owners or collectors of cars and from automobile clubs or organizations.

In 1999, a capital element, the global program for restoration and reallocation of the abbey, gave a new impetus to the museum. That year, the Walloon Government provided 80% of the expenses for a new scenography, that is to say € 380,000.

 

deco-presentation

Stavelot Abbey

Stavelot Abbey

Visit the Stavelot Abbey website

Spa-Francorchamps Circuit

Spa-Francorchamps Circuit

Visit the Spa-Francorchamps Circuit website

Stavelot Tourist Office

Stavelot Tourist Office

Enter Stavelot Tourist Office website

original-track-600